Monday, October 17, 2011

Mad Scientist Birthday Party (again)

Yes, I did a Mad Scientist Birthday Party a little over 2 years ago for big brother.  This time it was for Grahm and since it was Halloween I was able to get excited about decorating.  You will be surprised to know I didn't buy any new decorations.  My Mom sends my kids a creepy box every Halloween (they love it as much as Christmas) and so I am well stocked in creepy items.

The invitations were tucked inside small vials or test tubes.  They were simple and included things like "Testing Begins at"  "Lab Location".  The party favor bags I made .  I printed the logo I made on brown paper bags.  For how to print on lunch bags click here.  I will attach the pdf file for the print at the bottom (if someone has a picture they know is okay to use and distribute I would love to place it in the pdf file).  To add to the feel of the "Lab", I taped black plastic (garbage bags) over the walls.

For the experiments we:
1.  Franken-Bugs.  We made bugs with our Creepy Crawler Machine.
2.  Insta-Snow.  We learned about polymers.  You can read more here.
3.  Foaming-Snow.  You microwave Ivory soap (has to be Ivory).  Explained here.
4.  Hover Crafts.  You use a CD, bottle top, and a balloon.  Explained here.
5.  Tympanic Torture Device.  Could be really annoying.  Explained here
6.  Jello-Petri Dish.  I explained this using temperature and molecules.  Then every time they were getting too wild - I would have my molecules freeze.  We put smarties in our Jello to be our "growths".
7.  Film Canister Rockets.  Vinegar and Alka-Seltzer in a film canister and the lid pops off - be careful of eyes.  No pointing at anyone.  They can pop pretty hard.
8.  Diet Soda/Mento Geysers.  Explained here.



For refreshments we served:
1.  Abby Normal Cupcakes.  My awesome neighbor hand created each of these fondant brains.  I love how they turned out.
2.  Arsenic Cider.  I am in love with layering drinks.  The Sisters Cafe has a nice video how to.
3.  Cryo-Cream (sorry no pic).  Mint-Brownie Ice Cream.


My favorite decor for the party was the china cabinet.  I filled it to make it look like a specimen cabinet you see in labs.  Essentially I found creepy things, put them in jars.  Then added water and food coloring to them.  I wanted to add dust and cobwebs, but at some point you have to be done.




Here are a few pics from the party.  The boys were literally this wiggly the whole time.  I am glad that they had fun.   Here they are decorating their hover craft.

Playing with our tympanic torture devices.


You will have to find a picture of a spider or skeleton hand on your own and add it.
Mad Science Treats

Mad Science Goody Bag

1 comment:

Karisa and John said...

That is the COOLEST PARTY in history! Wow! I hope the guests appreciated your creativity.