Friday, June 17, 2011

Celebrating the Year's Accomplishments

We had a potluck celebration to celebrate all that our Kindergartners learned this year.  This year was so wonderful for Grahm.  They sang us some songs in English and Japanese (Months of the year and days of the week).  They also did the ABC's of their class - A is for... 

We could not have asked for a better teaching team.  We loved Ms. Ermel and Ms. Patrice.  Grahm learned and grew so much this year.  Ms. Ermel gave us a poem about working with our flower to help it grow over the last year and the poem so wonderfully captures how I have felt as well.

I've worked with your flower,
And helped it to grow.
I'm returning it now,
But I want you to know.
This flower is precious:
As dear as can be.
Love, take care of it,
And you will see
A bright, new bloom with
Every Day.
It grew and blossomed
In such a wonderful way --
In September just a bud,
January a bloom.
Now a lovely blossom --
I'm returning to you in June.
Remember, this flower,
As dear as can be --
Though rightfully yours,
Part, will always belong to me!


They really fulfilled their role as a teacher.  I entrusted them with his learning (and in some ways they spent more time with him than I did) and they helped him to grow.  (I feel very differently about Jayce - kind of wilted my bloom).

Grahm will really miss them.  As Ms. Ermel was saying goodbye to Ms. Patrice and giving her the gift the class made (Ms. Ermel is leaving K5) they teared up and so did Grahm.  He was hiding his face in my skirt and wiping his eyes.  It was a few minutes before he could turn back.  It melted my heart.   He wont talk or hardly move when he is upset.  He wont take a hug or come near you.  Ms. Ermel told me that on the last day as they were getting their individual goodbyes that Grahm clammed up and did this.

Ms. Ermel and Ms. Patrice you will be missed - thanks for a great year.

No comments: