Friday, June 10, 2011

He Loves Me Skirt

He love me... he loves me not... He Loves Me.


This skirt is made from an old polo of Jason's. 







1.  Cut off the bottom portion of a shirt, cut it the length you want the skirt to be, plus 1 1/8" for the elastic casing.
2.  Serge or zig-zag stitch the cut edge of your skirt to tidy up the edge (not necessary since knit doesn't ravel).
3.  Fold over 1 1/8inch and press. 
4.  Top stitch the casing closed, leave an opening for your elastic.
5.  Measure your child's waist and cut elastic to that measurement.  Thread through casing, overlap ends and stitch together.  Top stitch the opening closed. - Now you have a skirt.

To embellish.
1.  Cut out a zillion little hearts from remaining fabric.
2.  Start near the bottom of skirt and sew on a heart, I used a machine - but you could do it by hand.  
3.  Sew on more hearts bunching them close together and placing points together to make a flower.   I used 4-5 hearts to make a flower.
4.  Start randomly placing flowers on skirt to your liking.  Remember that you are adding weight so do not put them too close together or the skirt will start to sag.

EDIT:  Do not dry in the dryer.  I had to iron all of the petals back open:(.

Linked up at :  30 Handmade Days

3 comments:

Katie said...

Very cute-- a nesting project for me, I think! (If I remember it started really early with Cass...)Did you hand stitch or machine stitch the flowers??

Shalet said...

cute. cute. CUTE!

Anna said...

She is adorable! And you are good at all things creative.