Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A Tutorial - Tumbled Marble Coasters

Since the holidays are fast approaching and it has been ages since I shared something crafty, I thought I would share how to make Tumbled Marble Coasters.  These are super easy, extremely useful, and wont break the bank.

What you need:
Tumbled Marble Tile from your local hardware store (Home Depot, Lowes, etc...). 
Permanent Ink (Craft Ink, StayzOn, etc...)
Rubber Stamps
Acrylic Sealer
Cork or felt

1.  Stamp the tiles with your stamps.  Get creative here - do a collage, a simple border, a word, etc...

2.  For mine I had to use a paintbrush and fill in my stamp to get the look I was after.

3.  Rub a little ink on the edges, to help make them Pop!

4.  Let dry in the oven - bake at 200 for 2 hours (check to see if the ink is dry - don't smudge your image!).

5.  Spray the sealer in a well ventilated area, let air dry.

6.  Apply cork to bottoms or felt (you can use the felt circles).  They need something so they don't scratch up furniture.

7.  Stack and tie up in pretty ribbon, raffia or whatever you like.

Here is a picture of a coaster that I was given as a gift.

These are great for protecting your furniture from cup rings!

5 comments:

Katie said...

What a great idea! I love how I get Jack onto the bus, come inside, check my email and then the blogs and your post is only 5 minutes old! It has happened a few times :)

Shalet said...

Cute idea.....I love mine!

Jen said...

What a cute and easy craft. I may just have to try this out. My SIL and I get together each Thanksgiving break and make crafts. For some reason we've been doing Halloween crafts the past 2 years, so I'm thinking I'll find something Halloweeny to stamp on the coasters. Thanks for sharing.

Marble Coaster said...

Marbleizing the sandstone tiles by hand allows you control over the colors and finished design. You can create marbleized coasters in traditional marble color schemes or create a new combination of hues.

Marble Coaster said...

You can create anything that accentuates an already well decorated room or you can add a bit of spice to a more modest environment. Decorating your own drink coasters should be a quick weekend project for you, not something that becomes daunting.